Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Where do I search, part 2

There are other things to consider as you're thinking about your topic and where to search.

Are you in a hurry?
Are you familiarizing yourself with a new area?
Are you doing a comprehensive, exhaustive search?
Are you looking for cutting edge information?

These questions help you plan your method of attack. Picking the right resource to match type of search you're doing will help ensure a higher level of success.

For example, if I'm in a hurry, I'm going to look at resources that synethize or synopsize information (textbooks, encyclopedic handbooks) or a couple of good recent articles. If I'm trying to familiarize myself with a new area, I'm going to look for a recent book, review articles, a textbook on the topic or check resources that synopsize information. For a comprehensive, exhaustive search, I'll use bibliographic and citation databases. If I'm looking for cutting edge information, I'd check the news and web resources.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home